April 18th

April 18th has been marked in red on our calendars since January.  Since Zach was born with a congenital birth defect (I hate that word), we qualified for a Level 2 anatomy ultrasound at the Perinatal Center downtown.  I wasn't worried if it was a boy or a girl and I wasn't worried about another diaphragmatic hernia...I was worried about EVERYTHING else!

About 20 minutes into the ultrasound, I started to relax when we saw all of the parts in all of the right places.  Our baby had its knees tightly clenched together and feet tucked under as to not show off the "goods".  About 5 minutes later she finally moved and it was announced it was a girl.  I will never forget the look of happiness (and pure shock) on Chris' face.  He was so excited (as was I).  Zach has been telling us it was a girl since we told him we were pregnant but Palmers only have boys so we didn't believe him.  He even told us Grandma Palmer (who passed away last year) told him it was girl.  Spooky!

At the end of the ultrasound a doctor came in to talk to us.  They saw what they think might be a small VSD (ventricular septal defect).  Basically it is a hole in the heart between the ventricles.  They said it is really small and wouldn't require surgery and not to worry, but they want to check again in 6 weeks.  After talking with our OB, it is very common and "most" times corrects itself en utereo.  She said if we had just had a normal ultrasound, they wouldn't have even detected it and they are seeing more and more of these as technology gets better.  The tissue in the heart isn't done developing so most likely it will close on its on.  We go back May 29th for another check and a fetal echocardiagram.  After all of the worry I have done about this pregnancy, surprisingly I am not worried about this VSD.  It does help that I get to distract myself by buying lots and lots of pink things!

No comments:

Post a Comment