March 20th

Yesterday Chris and I had a very rough day.  Last week the spotting came back and Monday I had 2 relatively minor bleeds.  Since it had been about 3 weeks since it stopped, I called the doctor just to check in.  They said they wanted me to come in for an ultrasound just to check to make sure baby was fine and my cervix was normal.  We went in at 3 and immediately saw the baby's heartbeat but the technician got quiet and I knew something was wrong.  She took the measurements to the doctor and we waited and waited and waited.

Finally at 4 the doctor came in and told us the worst news possible.  They think my water broke.  They aren't sure if the bleeding caused my water to break or if my water breaking caused the bleeding.  They don't know when it happened.  They want to see at least 5 units of amniotic fluid around the baby.  I had 1 1/2.  She sent my scans over to the Perinatal Center and consulted with them and they agreed with the prognosis.

A baby needs amniotic fluid for its lungs to develop.  Not enough amniotic fluid means no lungs.  Plus having my water broken so early opens me up for a life threatening infection.  There is nothing they can do.  This baby developed with a crappy cervix.  She said there is nothing I did or didn't do or ate or didn't eat to cause it.  It was just very bad luck.  It shouldn't affect future pregnancies (try telling that to my over analyzing brain).  The doctor was amazing and kind and thoughtful and answered all of our questions with compassion and love so that at least helped.

So now Chris and I have decisions to make, procedures to be done, and healing to start.  My heart breaks most for Zach who was SO excited to be a big brother.  The good thing is he has no idea the difference between 9 months or 15 months or 18 months.  Hopefully someday there will be a baby...but it won't be in September.

Please keep us in our prayers as it is going to be a difficult few weeks for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment